Child Therapy Services
Dr. Onufrak accepts new child patients 3-7 years old. She may, under certain circumstances, treat younger and slightly older children. Children may remain in her care as they grow or return at a later stage of development with different issues.
“Looking through your child’s eyes changes everything”
He is doing great! He just started Kindergarten and seems to be doing much better with his peers … I want you to know how grateful I am for your tips and tricks, advice referrals and hard work with H. You are amazing!”
– Mother of 5-year old boy
“Is it normal for a child to do that?” “Is this something she will grow out of?” “Does he have our family anxiety?”
A diagnostic evaluation determines whether a child’s difficulties reflect the basic challenges of normal development or an emerging clinical problem.
Dr. Onufrak takes a gentle, conservative approach with young people, looking through a developmental lens first.
- Parents-Only Intake session
- Child interview & observation
- Parent & Teacher inventories
- Phone conference with teacher & school staff (with parent permission)
- On-site observation at school or daycare (if indicated)
- Parent Treatment Planning session
- Written report with recommendations
“She needs some tools for anger.” “He falls apart over every little thing …” “Every day I’m called at work …”
Dr. Onufrak addresses problems such as these with several methods:
- Child and parent-child therapy
- Parent-only visits for treatment planning and guidance
- Extensive use of toys & puppets for engaging, memorable interventions
- Coordination with school staff
FREQUENTLY TREATED PROBLEMS*:
- Defiance, aggression, noncompliance
- Inattention & Hyperactivity
- Mood problems (sadness, anger)
- Anxiety (worry, meltdowns, habits)
- Grief/ loss and Social challenges
- School & day care behavior issues
- Mild Autistic spectrum issues
- Sensory challenges
- Coping w/pediatric & family illness
*Please see Divorce Resources page for a directory of forensic providers.