“Thank you for being such a wonderful doctor and compassionate caregiver.”
– Mother of 6 yr. old girl
Each child’s treatment is build upon the two pillars of ChildSightTools®.
- Parents gain new Vision to see through the child’s eyes, and
- Tools for both parent & child, from contemporary neuroscience, equip families with solutions that also bring them closer.
Dr. Onufrak provides parent support in the following two ways – separately or together!
- In-office parent-only therapy sessions
- Self-paced courses in the ChildSightTools Online School
Her original live parent seminars — Clarity and Solutions — will soon be available in the Online School for access at any time.
What BENEFITS does ChildSightTools® bring?
Reduce child battles, blowups & meltdowns
Whether kids are defiant, gifted, anxious, sensory challenged, acting out or retreating in … their behavior may express feelings they cannot put into words. Parents feel lost trying to help when their child is with them … and especially when apart.
CST® helps meltdowns become fewer, shorter and less intense; increases daily cooperation and closeness; and improves the quality of days at home, school and activities.
Strengthen Family Bonds
Repeated conflict frays the precious bonds of patience, love and understanding between kids & parents. You love your child but may not like them much now. Partners’ bonds fray from seeing & approaching problems differently.
CST® strengthens family bonds with activities that awaken understanding & deepen affection with family-changing insights.
Grow your child’s coping skills
It’s hard for young kids to manage multiple, complex, rapidly progressing development at once. Following rules at school, becoming a friend, managing intense emotions, and keeping bodies in check.
CST® helps kids gain coping skills that help them cope and cooperate at home, school and everywhere.
Regain Parenting Joy, Ease & Satisfaction
Parents can become discouraged, depleted, run-down, out-of-control and exhausted. The child you hoped for differs from the one your have; it’s easier for others and you wonder why you can’t parent as successfully.
CST® provides insights and tools that help you recapture parenting joy or feel it for the first time.
HOW does ChildSightTools® Help?
The ChildSightTools model works by helping both parent and child, separately and together!
Parents gain the vision to see the daily life as your child does … through their eyes
- Uncover clues in your child’s behavior. Accelerate the pace of discovery about your child ~ so you bring clues to every office visit, not just quandaries.
- See from your child’s point of view with child development secrets and things you’ve just forgotten about being young.
- Understand brain regions that drive your child’s behavior. That will also clue you in to the most effective parenting responses!
Tools for Parents
Learn brain-friendly behavior strategies that work with your young child’s brain, not against it!
- Self-Calming: Cool your own emotions so your child can too
- Brain-based discipline: Use today’s neuroscience instead of time-out
- Coaching skills: Teach your child’s young brain rather than just punish
- Nutrition: Discover what foods help or hurt child behavior & mood
- Play: Learn how to play with your child to grow a spirit of cooperation and closeness
TOOLS for Kids
In cognitive-behavioral play therapy, kids learn to understand complicated feelings and practice new coping skills in a fun, non-threatening manner.
- How to calm down from strong feelings
- How to ask for help
- How to be a friendly friend
- How to gain courage
- On and on and on!
In parent-child sessions, we blend child & parent skills in a warm partnership to tackle problems together!
Dr. Onufrak believes child coping is a joint venture between parent & child in the early years.
TogetherTools is also the name of Dr. Onufrak’s upcoming book series for parents and children to read together!
WHY is ChildSightTools® effective?
This model brings together 3 of the most developmentally sensitive approaches to young child work: Attachment theory, Behavior Modification, and Play Therapy.
The ChildSightTools® model is grounded in contemporary neuroscience which emphasizes co-regulation processes between adult & child, plus executive function sensitivity.
Attachment Theory emphasizes the irreplaceable role of parent child closeness for the health of every domain of child development. Dr. Onufrak believes that strengthened attachment is a central part of a child’s improvement in the problems that brought them to therapy.
Behavior Modification does not have to be a mechanical, chart-driven enterprise. Applied in the context of ChildSightTools®, parents learn to be both warm and firm, giving children essential structure and limits, with multiple other self-regulation and emotion-management skills. The behavioral tools of ChildSightTools® are based on the neuroscience of today, not the time-out model of yesterday.
Play Therapy is based on the tenet the Play is the Language of children. Play provides children a way to engage in a non-threatening manner; face problems accompanied by humor and fun with puppets and toys; gain safe-distance from their troubles that allows them to grapple with and overcome them.